What is JUVÉDERM® XC?
JUVÉDERM® XC is a non-surgical dermal filler that will instantly smooth out the lines along the sides of your nose and mouth. It can provide natural-looking results for up to a year with optimal treatment. JUVÉDERM® XC is made from a modified form of hyaluronic acid (HA), manufactured using proprietary HYLACROSS™ technology. Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a naturally occurring substance found on your skin. As you age, you start to lose HA, which causes the skin to lose structure and volume, contributing to the formation of wrinkles and folds. JUVÉDERM® XC is also formulated with lidocaine for a more comfortable treatment experience.
What are the different types of wrinkles?
There are two types of wrinkles:
Dynamic wrinkles are caused when muscles contract to make facial expressions such as smiles and frowns. Static wrinkles develop because our skin’s natural substances (such as collagen and hyaluronic acid), which provide structure and volume, decrease over time.
What is JUVÉDERM® XC approved for?
JUVÉDERM® XC non-surgical dermal filler is approved for injection into the mid to deep dermis (below the outer layer of skin) for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds (the creases running from the bottom of your nose to the corners of your mouth), and smile and laugh lines.( No, this doesn’t mean you won’t be able to smile after it’s injected.)
What is JUVÉDERM® XC commonly used for?
- Facial folds and wrinkles: Dermal fillers are an excellent complement to Botox® injections because they correct a different type of wrinkle. Combining the two treatments with a chemical peel or laser skin resurfacing can help improve all your wrinkles.
- Restoring facial volume: As we age, our faces naturally lose volume and gravity takes hold. This gives the face a drawn, tired appearance. Dermal fillers can be used to fill in areas that have lost volume, restoring a youthful fullness to your face.
- Lip augmentation: The lips also tend to lose volume as we age. Thin lips can create an older, sterner appearance. Dermal fillers can be used to restore a youthful volume to the lips.
- Facial reshaping: Some people do not have the facial shape they desire and, in many cases, this can be at least partly corrected with dermal fillers which can give the appearance of higher cheekbones or a stronger chin and jawline.
- Very Fine Lines: Fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth, eyebrow, eyes and cheeks can be reduced. These include Smile lines, Laugh Lines, Marionette lines, and Vertical lip wrinkles.
How are JUVÉDERM® XC injections performed?
JUVÉDERM® XC injections are performed in the office and usually take about 30 minutes. The injection site will be cleansed. Ice is then placed over the area to be treated to make the experience more pleasant and to constrict the surrounding blood vessels to minimize the chances of bruising. If the lips are to be injected, a lip block may be performed for a more pleasant experience. JUVÉDERM® XC non-surgical filler is injected into the dermis of skin using an ultra-fine needle to temporarily fill in the treatment area and smooth moderate to severe facial wrinkles. Slight pain, short-lasting swelling, and minimal redness and bleeding may occur as a result of your procedure. Touch -up injections in 2 to 3 weeks may be required to achieve optimum results.
Does the correction last forever?
Correction is temporary and may last up to one year with optimal treatment. Therefore, touch-up injections, as well as repeat injections, are usually needed to maintain optimal results.
What are the possible side effects of JUVÉDERM® XC non-surgical filler?
Most side effects are mild or moderate in nature, and their duration is short lasting (7 days or less). The most common side effects include, but are not limited to, temporary injection site reaction such as redness, pain or tenderness, firmness, swelling, lumps or bumps, bruising, itching, and discoloration. As with all skin injection procedures there is a rare risk of infection.
Can people with different skin tones/colors be treated with JUVÉDERM® XC?
Yes. In fact, JUVÉDERM® XC non-surgical filler has been used effectively in all skin types.
What is the difference between JUVÉDERM® XC, JUVEDERM® ULTRA XC and JUVEDERM® VOLUMA XC?
- JUVÉDERM® XC is a non-surgical dermal filler used to instantly smooth out moderate to severe lines along the sides of your nose and mouth. Natural-looking results may last up to one year with optimal treatment.
- JUVÉDERM® ULTRA XC is the first and only FDA-approved non-surgical dermal filler to last up to one year in lip augmentation (enlargement) with optimal treatment.
- JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC is the first injectable gel that is FDA-approved to instantly correct age-related volume loss in the cheek area for people over 21. It adds volume, creating contour and lift for up to two years with optimal treatment.
What is the difference between BOTOX® and JUVÉDERM® XC?
- BOTOX® Cosmetic and JUVÉDERM® XC are two possible ways to treat moderate to severe facial lines and wrinkles. Both are non-surgical, but they work differently:
- BOTOX® Cosmetic is injected beneath the skin’s surface to target the underlying muscle activity which is one of the causes of moderate to severe frown lines between the brows and crow’s feet. BOTOX® Cosmetic temporarily reduces the activity of those muscles.
- JUVÉDERM® XC is injected into the skin to temporarily fill and smooth moderate to severe wrinkles such as those around the nose and mouth.
What makes JUVÉDERM® XC different from other dermal fillers?
JUVÉDERM® XC is the only Hyaluronic Acid (HA) filler FDA-approved to last up to one year with optimal treatment, and JUVÉDERM® XC was studied in all skin types. The unique manufacturing process uses HYLACROSS™ technology to provide a high concentration of cross-linked Hyaluronic Acid.
To learn how BOTOX® Cosmetic and Juvederm® XC can help you look younger, calland schedule a facial rejuvenation consultation at Hall and Wrye Plastic Surgery today. Hall and Wrye participates in the Allergan Brilliant Distinctions Loyalty Program to help benefit your aesthetic needs.